Configuraton and use of W5500 ?

Hello Wiznet,

I’m continuing work on a project commenced by a previous engineer, and am seeing a Wiznet W5500S2E-S1 ethernet bridge used on one of the PCBs – it’s a device I’m unfamiliar with, so I’ll need to request some advice from you, please. On this PCB this device connects to a local microprocessor via a RS232/uart interface. The other end, the ethernet side, would then connect to a controlling PC software.

The PC software issues instructions that reach this microprocessor, through the W5500 ethernet bridge, which then takes action in accordance with the specific instruction before responding back to the PC software again through this bridge. The PC is basically the ‘master’ in the system, it initiates all communications, so I believe this means it is the client while the W5500 is the server (and so the W5500 should be in server mode I think).

Reading the information provided on Wiznet’s website indicates there are three options in relation to the W5500’s configuration method. These are: i/ using the WIZS2E ConfigTool, ii/ Web page configuration (allows user locally or remotely to configure the module through web browser), and iii/ AT command configuration support sending serial commands from the mainboard of the embedded device or from the serial terminal to configure the parameters of WIZS2E modules.

I’ve downloaded the WIZS2E ConfigTool (v1.0.1.4) and from the Module application note section of the website I also see sample code in “Guideline for configure the S2E as TCP Server by MCU”.
I’m not entirely sure what needs to be done in terms of configuration, so can you please help ?
My understanding is the sample code could be added to the local microprocessor allowing it to configure the W5500 through that RS232/uart interface – is that correct ? If so then would this be required after each power down/up sequence, or once configured does the W5500 remember the settings permanently ?

Or, to avoid the addition of this code to the local microprocessor (together with the associated testing) can all necessary configuration happen through the ConfigTool ? If so then what are all the settings required to be programmed into the W5500 ? Again I assume these remain with the W5500 permanently including after power loss, but please confirm. I see just two main tabs, Basic Settings and Advanced Options, but am not sufficiently knowledgeable with this device to be sure of all the correct/required settings.

In the Basic Settings tab under Connection I see we could choose Work as being TCP Server which is part of the reason I think we can just use ConfigTool for all configurations, and not use any of the sample code provided but I’m not sure.

But, if we do implement the sample code method then what are the default uart settings already programmed into the W5500 ? Or do we still need to firstly set these with ConfigTool ? What are the benefits of using the sample code method as opposed to ConfigTool ?

And I’m assuming in this case the W5500 does need to be in TCP Server mode, and not one of the other three options, but please confirm.

I also couldn’t find the W5500 datasheet on the Wiznet website – can you point me in the right direction, please ? Likewise for any other documents that are required here, but aren’t on your website.
Once the configuration process is complete is there anything else required to be done for the W5500 to be operational in our system ?

Any feedback you can provide in relation to these topics will be much appreciated, thank-you.

@Twn,

Hi, I’m Ron from WIZnet HK. Nice to know you.

According to your information, it seems like you have some confuse with our W5500 chipset and this module.

The PCB board that you having is a Serial to Ethernet module called W5500S2E-S1.

The purpose of this module is providing a solution to allow user could directly send data through serial (RS232/UART/TTL) and the module will help you delivery those data through Ethernet to your wanted destinated location.

About the setup of this module, it includes 3 type of methods.

1. Using configuration tools through Ethernet
  2. Webpage
  3. AT commands through Serial commands.

About your questions, please refer to the information below.

1. I’m not entirely sure what needs to be done in terms of configuration, so can you please help ?
    The configuration tools is allowing you to set the module parameters. Like IP address, Serial setups and TCP/ UDP communication method.
    After setting these paramaters, you could send data through Serial and our W5500S2E-S1 will help you delivery those data to the destination that you had set.

2. My understanding is the sample code could be added to the local microprocessor allowing it to configure the W5500 through that RS232/uart interface – is that correct ?
    As I mentioned previously, this is a serial to Ethernet module to helps you delivery serial data through Ethernet.
    Thus, it could not allow you to program codes to the module.
    If you are looking for programming board, you could choose our open source hardware to program.
    Link: W5500-EVB-Pico | WIZnet Document System

3. If so then would this be required after each power down/up sequence, or once configured does the W5500 remember the settings permanently ?
    About this question, our module settings will be saved after reset or power off but it is not permanent. This is related to our module has a factory reset feature to allow the module goes back to factory settings.

4. Can all necessary configuration happen through the ConfigTool ?
    Yes, all the settings can be configure through Config tools but this is not related to programming codes to our module.

5. If so then what are all the settings required to be programmed into the W5500 ?
    Please know that our module could not be program. Thus, it won’t have any settings for programming our module.
    BTW, please know that our W5500 chip is a Hardwired TCP/IP chip made by logic gates. Therefore, you could only use with a MCU to program for controlling our W5500 chip.

6. Basic setting tabs and Advance setting tabs.
    Basic Setting tabs is setting serial and network settings. For more information, please refer to W5500S2E user manual.
    Advance Settings are other related settings during communicating with other device through Ethernet. In example, data size during TCP communication. For more information , please refer to W5500S2E user manual.

7. if we do implement the sample code method then what are the default uart settings already programmed into the W5500 ?
    Please know that our W5500S2E could not be program.
    Default setting for W5500S2E-S1 is the following. Page 22 of W5500S2E user manual:

8. Or do we still need to firstly set these with ConfigTool ?
    As the settings are default settings, therefore you do not need to set those parameters.

9. What are the benefits of using the sample code method as opposed to ConfigTool ?
    Configuration tools is allow you to find the module easily through ethernet.
    If you set the network parameter wrongly, you could still find the module and correct the settings through Config Tools using Ethernet connection.

10. I also couldn’t find the W5500 datasheet on the Wiznet website. I will share all the links to you at the end of my reply.

11. Once the configuration process is complete is there anything else required to be done for the W5500 to be operational in our system ?
    Once you have set the module correct, you just required to send data to the Serial or Ethernet section and the module will help you send the data for you.

If you have any issue in the future, you may contact us through our email. (support@wiznet.hk).

Links:

1. User manual and other related tools with information about W5500S2E product.
    W5500S2E series - WizSE

2. Youtube Demo and instruction videos on how to our W5500S2E modules:
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvBNmp4sXJoP7pAS3KTv2ckAd1qhL5KQn

3. Datasheet for W5500:
    Datasheet | WIZnet Document System