Pin connection of WIZ100 board

Hello,

I have recently bought a WIZ100SR serial to ethernet converter and we are currently testing the device.
With the evaluation board the device seem to work properly and we can use it. However for our application we would like to be able to use the board without the evaluation board.

The information in the manual provides information about how to hookup the board to the ethernet and serial connection, however we cannot seem to make it work. The device is not even recognized by the computer therefore we think we might miss something while hooking up the device on our testbed.

So our question is:

• How is the power provided to the board? There are two VCC terminals on both J1 and J2 header. Should there be a voltage provided (3.3V) on both, none or only one of these pins?
  • Is is sufficient to only connect serial side (Tx, Rx and GND) and Ethernet side (TX+, TX-, RX+, RX-)? Or is there any other sequence you have to go through in order to power the device?

Thanks in advance.

Hello StevenMedusa

I answer your question.

• You need to connect VCC and GND to only one of JP1 or JP2.

• If you want to use Ethernet, you need to connect the 1 pin of JP2 to the CT of RJ45.

Ask more questions.:slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you.

Hello Scott,

Thank you for your response!

I am not sure if I understand this. Using the developers board I can indeed verify that this is correct. But according to the PIN assignment of the WIZ100SR manual, pin 1 is the PWFBOUT. What does this mean? What is send over this line?

And I have a second question: Would it be possible to use the S2E chip without an RJ45 socket? We would like to use the chip in following ideal case:

[WIZ100SR chips] → flying leads connected to an ethernet cable → Ethernet plug that inserts into a PC

So basically that an ethernet cable is cut and directly connected to this board. I know that there is some electronics present in the RJ45 sockets, but would it be possible to skip this or use some other smaller components for this?

Hello StevenMedusa.

PWFBOUT is a 3.3V power supply.

There is a transformer circuit inside the RJ45 connector. 3.3V should be connected there.

It is recommended to use RJ45 connector. But you can do whatever you want.

WIZ100SR - Transformer Circuit - Ethernet Cable - PC

You need to do this.

I’ll send you a circuit and RJ45 datasheet for your reference.

See the transformer circuit in the RJ45 data sheet.

Thank you.

WIZ100SR.zip (199.7 KB)