Power failure

Hi guys,

I just bought a wiz110SR, but when i connect it to power supply 5v the capacitor number 19 burns, what could be wrong, since its the power in connector is a plug, its kind of hard to power it with inverse polarity…

Hello Lexxus,

there are several options why your capacitor C19 is heated.

[ol]
[li]polarity mismatch - proper usage: inner tip +5V, outer tip GND[/li]
[li]bad DC power plug - ripple in the supply power[/li]
[li]bad C19 - very unlikely[/li][/ol]

Please try another DC power plug or another WIZ110SR. If all fail please contact your dealer and ask for an RMA (return and replace). We are offering one year of warranty beginning with the date of purchase.

Best regards,
Felix

I found the plug polarity was inverse… so that maybe the couse, until tomorrow ill get another wiz from my house so until then ill be able to make another test, could u give me the part number of the capacitor 19 so i can change it pls.

Regards
RERG

Its a tantalum capacitor 10uf/16v bcase. Can be replaced with a same rated capacitor picked up at radio shack. I had the same problem. Just remove and solder new one. Cut leads down as they are rather long. Good luck. Thanks goes to Peter.

Hello Lexxus,

before trying to unsolder the broken capacitor and soldering a new one please try to run your WIZ110SR without C19. The C19 is only needed, if the power supply has some strong AC ripple coupled onto the DC voltage. In such cases it is okay to unsolder C19 and try if the LDO has been damaged. The LDO has a thermal fuse, but even that fuse can be damaged under certain circumstances. If your LDO is fine and you feel like you need a replacement part for C19 you can go jammyjam’s recommendation with the 10uF tantal capacitor. If you power our module with any other voltage than 5V please make sure you have a capacitor that is able to withstand that voltage.

Best regards,
Felix

A little late, but thanks alot to both.

Cards is powering ok without capacitor so ill run it like that.

Regards
RERG