WIZnet Developer Forum

W5300 LEDs Blink/Flash to disconnect Link While Receiving Video Packates

Hi Everyone
I am receiving video packets (UDP or MACRAW) from a camera/video encoder using two DSk-INET daughter cards, which contain W5300 as the ethernet controller chip, stacked on each other and DSK6713. Video data rate is 300 Kbps. One DSK-INET card is connected to Camera/video encoder and receives video packets using recvfrom() API function in MACRAW or UDP mode in internal RX FIFO which is configured to maximum of 64 KB. These Video packets are continuously being read and further sent by DSP 6713 using second DSK-INET daughter card to PC ,running VLC media player to display video, in a while loop. VLC receives video perfectly until LEDs on one DSK-INET board start to blink on and off repeatedly. SPD, LNK and FDX LEDs blink on and off repeatedly. At this point video is halted because link is disconnected. when LEDs get stable again video comes back. This happens constantly. So far I can only figure out that when I write to TX FIFO of W5300 after receiving packets from its RX FIFO these LEDs blink.
Can anyone please help me out here because I am stuck at this point.

I have the same issue with few W5100-based devices, and I did not find the cause for it (to be precise I do not have time and do not have need to do it yet). Device behaves exactly as you say - at some point in time its LEDs turn off for a second, then turn on and communication seem to continue (not sure about it). Examining the board and quality of assembly did not reveal problems, thus I suspect that it is networking chip issue.

In my understanding it may happen because:

• W5x00 chip loses lock on PLL. If I put wet finger onto the oscillator circuit I see the same behavior - chip stops, and when I remove finger it continues. It means that this clocking circuit may be an issue;
  • W5x00 detects some stuck condition and performs PHY reset (not digital core reset - otherwise communication would not continue). The cause of this could be chip itself, as well as connected hub/switch port.

My recommendations to you:

1. if you have another board replace this malfunctioning one and see how it performs. Probably even better idea, as soon as you have two identical boards, exchange them so that this malfunctioning board appear the one sending stream to PC and see if any board continues to malfunction;
  2. if W5300 board is connected to switch - move jack to another switch’s port. If it is connected directly to camera - then there’s no other way than replace camera.

Thank You @Eugeny for replying

‘‘if you have another board replace this malfunctioning one and see how it performs. Probably even better idea, as soon as you have two identical boards, exchange them so that this malfunctioning board appear the one sending stream to PC and see if any board continues to malfunction;’’

I have two DSK-INET boards stacked on each other. I have swapped their position but the board connected lower is the one with unstable LEDs. Upper DSK-INET daughter card is working fine. I have tried to use only one daughter card but the problem still remains no matter which card I use. I have even changed the camera and encode but it seems problem is within the chip. It can not send packets from its TX FIFO while reading from its RX FIFO even at 300 Kbps.

W5100 and W5300 are quite similar devices. what were your data rates and applications?

Not clear - you say that when you swap boards issue stays with specific board? In other words, when second board is connected to the camera, it does not reset its PHY? Then does first board, when it looks at the direction of the PC, work without such symptoms?

I mean to say the board which is connected directly to the EMIF interface of DSK6713 blinks its LEDs like resetting them. Wheather this board is receiving from camera or sending to PC it behaves same in both cases. The board stacked above this board wheather it is receiving from camera or sending to PC is with stable LEDs. When I interchange their position the board who had stable LEDs is now directly in contact with EMIF interface of DSK6713 and is now blinking its LEDs. So problem doesn’t seem to be a faulty board. They all blink LEDs when they are in direct contact with EMIF interface of DSK6713. The board stacked up is not blinking LEDs.

If it is still confusing I can share you picture.

I am looking here into section 1.1 as I am not familiar with C6713 board. Is it the one you use? I see that “EMIF” is eternal memory interface. How did you connect W5300 to it?

yes exactly I am using this board. W5300 chip is available in DSK-INET daughter card from Bitec. You can also search that on internet. This daughter card is connected to DSK6713

Copyright © 2017 WIZnet Co., Ltd. All Rights Reserved.