First Ping response after hardware reset delay (too long)

Hi!

I’m new in this forum. Thank you for your existence.

I have tried to ping a W5100 that works as a server and I have found that there is an interval of several seconds between the reset (only hard reset) and when the W5100 starts responding to the Ping.

The results are very variable from execution to execution, and range from 5.7 to 36 sec.

Chat server address:192.168.1.177
5739 ms.
12815 ms.
36094 ms.

I found this problem with both:

MEGA board + keystudio W5500 shield

and

UNO board + W5100 shield (don’t know who made it)

with similar results. As an average, I must wait 17 sec. from Arduino reset to the first ping.

The client is latest Hercules on Win7 x64.

Is it possible to be a hardware issue?

Any ideas will be welcome.

Hi~
The figure below shows the reset timing.
10ms have passed since the HW reset was pressed and you have to confirm the Link blink whether or not.
I tested them.

1. Arduino Mega + W5500 shield(Wiznet)
  2. Arduino Uno + W5100 shield(Arudino)
    I tested and it doesn’t slow response to ping like you said.
    I think it could be a hardware problem.
    Could you please tell me that DHCP use whether or not?

When chip is hard reset it drops the upstream link, and remote device (e.g. router/switch) sees it and starts new training and negotiation process when link is back. This training and negotiation may take long time, and it may be the cause of the delays you see. Dig into switch’s settings (look into manual) to disable training making switch’s port starting immediately as soon as link is being sensed.

Hi, Irina_kim, Thank you for your fast response!

I was checking ping delays of about 17s., sometimes only 6s. and sometimes 36s., but when I saw you were talking about 10ms., and after reading Eugeny response, my light bulb went on…

My ethernet plug was not attached to a “simple” switch, but directly to my dear internet provider’s router (great idea…) so now I attached my plug directly to the (“simple”) switch and the time has been reduced to a little less than 2s., time that I assume is due to my Arduino sketch setup, where I stablish a fixed IP.

Thank you again

Hi, Eugeny, also Thank you for your fast response!

As you can see in my response to Irina_kim, I was checking ping delays of about 17s., sometimes only 6s. and sometimes 36s., but when I saw she was talking about 10ms., and after reading your response, my light bulb went on…

My ethernet plug was not attached to a “simple” switch, but directly to my dear internet provider’s router (great idea…) so now I attached my plug directly to the (“simple”) switch and the time has been reduced to a little less than 2s., time that I assume is due to my Arduino sketch setup, where I stablish a fixed IP .

Thank you again