No ping on WIZ550io when connected to Netgear router

Hi!

I just got a WIZ550io that I intend to use for the design contest. According to your website it should initialize itself and respond to ping at 192.168.1.2 when connected. This is not the case when I connect it to my Netgear router. It doesn’t show up in the Netgear UI nor does it respond to ping. I have tried to connect it directly to a laptop running Windows 7 which I reconfigured to use 192.168.1.3 and the WIZ550io then happily responded to ping on 192.168.1.2. But the whole point of getting it was to not to have a computer on 24/7 but to make a little hub together with an MCU that I can use to send data to from all sorts of sensors and stuff.
So my question is, how to I debug this? Is there something I need to configure in my router?

Thanks in advance!

with ip 192.168.1.3 at the laptop you must be able to ping wiz550 which will be pluged on the netgear.

why you have to reconfigure your windows 7? The router’s DHCP must have to give an ip at space of 192.168.1.xx (use ipconfig command at dos prompt to examin which is the ip of the laptop alread given by dhcp)
OR
That means a) your netgear router is at deferent network e.g. 10.97.0.1 or 192.168.10.1 etc . . . .
examin the DHCP server in your router .It must give ip at 192.168.1.xx to 192.168.1.254

or b) because the wiz550io has static ip it conflicts with an already given ip by DHCP (use arp -a to expamin which mac address has the ip 192.168.1.2

minas

Thanks for the quick reply!

I reconfigured my Windows 7 just to check if the WIZ550io faulty. But since it in that case responds to ping it should be OK.

OK, so the problem is that my router has IP 192.168.0.1. I get this when executing “ipconfig /all”:
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

In the Netgear UI there is an option to change the “LAN TCP/IP Setup IP address” but when setting it to 192.168.1.1 ( or any 192.168.1.x) I get the following error message: “Invalid Data. Lan IP Address Overlapped”. So maybe it’s not possible. I will investigate this further but if it’s not possible, what are my options?

you have to change the DHCP part. google your question about how to change the DHCP ip on Netgear router.

But don’t worry , if you cann’t do that ( I wouldn’t change the router).
The w550io is Ok. In your project the first think you have to do is to change the w550io ip to one you like.

Consider these:
the ip 192.168.1.2 which is already programed in w550io (to the rom of the Pic who is on the pcb) isn’t good. Wiznet has to think about it Because of : my router DHCP begin to 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 (as any DHCP logical do) this means that the ip 192.168.1.2 is already occupied from my PC. At home there are 1 pc 1 laptop 2 tablets 3 smartphones So I HAVE TO CHOOSE AN other ip far enough from 2
Το change the ip is not habit but something that is essential to become.
also, you can pole the ip registers to test your function that they are working properly.

I will post a question to Netgear about changing the IP but googling it give no useful results so it’s most likely not possible.

So then my only option is to change the IP in the WIZ550io. I don’t have a programmer right now so I can’t do that. And also, I got the WIZ550io since it was cheap and since WIZnet claim that you can just plug it in to get it to work so I really don’t wanna spend a lot of time and money on this. What is the easiest and cheapest way to reprogram the IP of the WIZ550io?

As I said at previous thread If I was in your shoe I wouldn’t change the router’s ip.
not the wiz550’s defualt ip.

I would change the wiz550 ip by code.

Hm… What do you expect to do more than ping ?
It is a ready module. All alone the only thing it can do is to responce to ping. You must “merry” it with a microcontroler.
Arduino is good idea. BUT YOU MUST WRITE THE PROGRAM. The program is the bain. wiz550 is the mouth and the ear of the body "project " you are running through.

Yes, have an Arduino but I figured that if it doesn’t even respond to ping (that is my router doesn’t find it) there is no point in even to upload any sketches to it. But I have desperately tried the Web server and Web client examples in the ethernet library but they fail of course since my router doesn’t find the Wiz.
What do you mean by changing the Wiz ip by code? Is that possible? Arduino code example?

Router is trasparnet to communications. “It just conects the cables” Nothing more to do with your wiz550. Only your pc and wiz550 must be in the same network that means all of them must have 192.168.1.xx where xx is a different number for each device fo example your pc may be 192.168.1.250 and wiz550 is 192.168.1.2 then the command (from pc) ping 192.168.1.2 will have a regulary responce from the wiz550.

Routers have protocols to descover which is the ip for every device connected at their gate (jack) Supose this example
you cahnge your pc have 10.97.0.100 , the wiz550 have 10.97.0.101 ( don’t ask how , you will learn latter) the router 192.168.0.1 From your pc you can issue the command ping 10.97.0.101 and the wiz550 will responce Why ? the router when you plug the cable on it and the yellow/ green led blinks fired a protocol to descover the ip of the device plunged on it.

Now with the same ip to PC (10.97.0.100) and at the properties of lan driver set mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.0.1 (router ip) and from firefox google.com → you will see the google’s page Because of TCP protocol is routeable

Of course you can change the ip by code Think about it If you got one wiz550 more … or 2 of them They will have the same ip. you will face a conflict with these modules on your network. So you have to change the ip to all of them.
THAT MEANS THAT you have to write code to present a html page to the client (someting like 192.168.1.16:90/admin ) so the client who will buy your device, aparatus etc , to be able to change the ip (for static ip) of the best that all comerce device do to look for then DHCP on the network to ask for a free ip on the network, which will be applied to wiz550.

google , question like “ardiuno and w5500 program ip”
you will find tons of code
AND PLEASE BEFOR ALL READ wiz550 datasheet, w5500 datasheet, at wikipedia read what is DHCP, what is DNS

[quote=“fredrikoe”]Yes, have an Arduino but I figured that if it doesn’t even respond to ping (that is my router doesn’t find it) there is no point in even to upload any sketches to it. But I have desperately tried the Web server and Web client examples in the ethernet library but they fail of course since my router doesn’t find the Wiz.
What do you mean by changing the Wiz ip by code? Is that possible? Arduino code example?[/quote]

Hello fredrikoe,
Regarding changing IP address of WIZ550io by code and Arduino code example, please refer to WIZnet’s wiki site, [url]http://wizwiki.net/wiki/doku.php?id=osh:ioshield-a:start[/url]

James.

I got it to work a while ago and can now set the IP to anything I want with Arduino code. I just assumed that since it didn’t respond to ping when I connected it to the router to start with it wouldn’t work setting the IP with code either but that was obviously the wrong assumption.

Thanks for the replies!

I’m having the same problem (changing the default IP scheme to something different). What did you do to get it to change on the router? I get the same error (“Invalid Data. Lan IP Address Overlapped!”).

It wasn’t possible to change the routers IP since my ISP has uploaded a modified firmware to it. You probably have the same problem.
So to get it to work I set an IP programmatically with my Arduino.