W5500-EVB-Pico MCU not connecting to Ethernet

Hello,

I have been working with this tutorial to set up my W5500-EVB-Pico board with the Arduino IDE. I even reinstalled the matching version of the Arduino IDE (1.8.19) and the old version of the RP2040 selection (2.1.1) within the IDE. After adding a couple of 500ms delays to the setup() block and uncommenting the line <Ethernet.init(17)> to set up the CS pin in the example sketch which the tutorial refers to, I noticed that the Ethernet.begin() function takes about a minute or so, before I receive the “Failed to configure Ethernet using DHCP” message.

I feel that I have exhausted every troubleshooting method I know of. Any help would be appreciated!

Hello,

From your message, it seems like there is an issue with DHCP allocation.

1. Do you have a DHCP server?
  2. Please try setting the IP to static and check if UDP communication works. DHCP requires UDP to function. The “UDPSendReceiveString” example would be suitable for this test. You will need to manually enter an IP that is appropriate for your network.

Are these changes made in the computer I connect ethernet to, or are these change I make in the code? From my own searches on the topic, my understanding is that an “appropriate ID” is one which is not used in the network (computer, other connections, etc.) which the ethernet module connects to, correct?

If you could refer me to a single, all-inclusive example of the changes to make, I would greatly appreciate it! :slight_smile:

I don’t know what change you’re talking about.

DHCP is UDP communication that requests an IP from a DHCP Server. It would be a good idea to first check if your PC and UDP are normal.

There is an example of basically sending and receiving data using UDP in Arduino. Run this and check if the network status is normal first.

Hello, I apologize for the late reply.

Long story short, with your help and some online examples, I was able to create a server on the W5500-EVB-Pico. Then I opened the browser on the connected PC, typed the IP address I manually set, and the data started showing up.

Now I am wondering how I can save the data which is coming in onto a file on said PC. Is there like a short Python script I can write or something? By the way, I am using a modified version of the built-in WebServer example.

Congratulations on getting the W5500-EVB-Pico to work as a Webserver. For the implementation you’re looking to achieve, it would be a good idea to search on Google or GitHub.

There are many IoT projects collected from various communities on WIZnet Maker.io. Please take a look here as well.