Cable not connected issue

Hello everyone,

I’ve been using the W5500-EVB-Pico board by connecting it to an Ethernet switch. Generally, I don’t encounter any issues (maybe about 80% of the time). However, occasionally, even when everything seems to be correct, I get a “cable not connected” error. Resetting the Pico using the onboard reset button doesn’t resolve the issue. Cycling the Ethernet connection also doesn’t solve the problem. Cutting off the power to the switch doesn’t help either. Strangely, if I cycle the power of the Pico, the issue is resolved.

I suspect that the Ethernet chip might not be resetting initially. I have several original W5500-EVB-Pico modules on hand. I’ve swapped the module 4-5 times, but the same issue persists across all of them. It doesn’t seem to be a fault with a specific module.

The software I’m running is the webserver.ino file from the examples, untouched and in its original state. I only removed the comment markers before the “Ethernet.init(17); // WIZnet W5100S-EVB-Pico W5500-EVB-Pico W6100-EVB-Pico” line. I haven’t made any other changes.

Any insights into what might be causing this and how I can resolve the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

In addition:
If it has worked once, it operates flawlessly for hours or even days until I cut off and restore power to the module. The issue only arises when I initially provide power to the module, and I haven’t found a way to resolve it without cutting off and restoring power to the module.

How do you reset the chip electrically (rst pin) and using software when you start the app/driver? Is there enough power to run the hardware?

1 Like

Hello Eugeny,

I was using Original / untouched Arduino codes and libraries. I had assumed that these codes and libraries were taking care of what was needed with the RST pin.

However, upon your response, I took a closer look at the codes and libraries to make sure. To my surprise, I couldn’t find any code handling the RST pin.

So, I modified the code accordingly, and my issue was completely resolved.

You can’t imagine how valuable your help has been for me. I want to express my deepest gratitude. Thank you so, so much.

1 Like